Sunday, March 21, 2010

Another St. Patty's Day...

I love St. Patrick's Day for several reasons. One, it means that Spring is well on it's way. And Two, I come from an Irish Heritage and my family has always celebrated it!!

Here's a funny memory, my whole extended family used to have an entry in the Irish parade up in Salt Lake. We would ride on a trailer with a banner proudly displaying HORRIGAN (my gma's maiden name) pulled behind a truck. Sitting on bales of hay, and wearing oversized green hats, we would sing songs to the sound of my sweet grandma playing her accordian. A few of us rollerbladed along side handing out candy. Embarassing? Yes, but that has become a very fond memory and I will always have a love for St. Patty's day.

For the four years of St. Patrick's days I have had with my own little family, we have celebrated by having the traditional Irish dish, Cornned Beef and Caggabe Soup...sooo yummy. This year we started another St. Patrick's Day tradition... Jane and I made a leprechaun trap!! Jane had been hearing about and talking about how sneaky leprechauns are all week. So, she was very excited to finally try to catch one the night before St. Patrick's Day. Here is Jane with our trap! Obviously many long hours went into the making of this trap...as you can see!!

Here is our trap all set. Cute Jane thought it would be smart to put the picture of a leprechaun which had been hanging on our fridge inside the trap, so as to lure the leprechauns into it...what a genious!!

The next morning Jane was very excited to see if we had caught one... The leprechauns got away this year, but as evidence that we had almost caught one, we found gold coins inside our trap that the leprechaun had left behind...Oh how Jane loved it!
She loved it even more when she discovered that there was chocolate inside...:) Oh how I love my little family and making new memories together!!
Perhaps we'll catch a leperchaun next year :)

2 comments:

Terry and Christina said...

that is such a cute idea! next year i am doing that :) we should get together soon!!!

Luke and Tiff said...

You are such a cute mom! Way to go.