Thursday, June 12, 2014

From Delaware to California!!

 Warning: this is a LONG post...but a FUN one!! Well, we made it. We made the seemingly impossible journey from Delaware to California with two kids, a newborn, and two cars and had many amazing and wonderful adventures along the way...

Our adventure began when our house got all packed up and we moved our crew to the "temporary family housing" on base...pretty much a big hotel room!! This alone was harrowing for me because Ryan had to work still and I was on my own to get Jane to school and take care of Beckham and a newborn baby alone for the first time since, Elsie was born.

**Active Shooter on Dover Air Force Base**
While I was struggling to learn how to be a mom of three while living out of suitcases in a one room hotel, I had a crazy experience! Ryan had to return the carpet cleaner to the business side of base.  I knew he was busy and figured it would be a ten minute errand, so I offered to do it for him.  I managed to pack Beckham and Elsie into the car and planned to make this a quick journey.  It was a cinch to return the carpet cleaner and I was anxious to get home to get lunch for Beckham before I needed to feed Elsie.

As I was leaving base, however, I noticed that traffic was at a stand still and no one was being let off base.  After waiting about 45 minutes, I got a call from Ryan who told me there was an active shooter on base and to not get out of the car and worst of all...to sit tight because we might be there awhile...ugh!!  He was right!! We ended up being stuck in that car for 4 hours.  And due to the fact that I was grossly unprepared, I was nearly out of gas and therefore couldn't leave my car running the entire time.  And poor Beckham was very hungry. It was our saving grace that Ryan had randomly left a bottle of water and some chocolates in the car, as well as the Ipad!!  So, Beckham could watch a movie while we snacked on chocolates.  I was immensely grateful for my ability to nurse, as well.  Because of that I was able to feed Elsie twice while stuck in the car.

Having a front row seat to the Dover Air Force Base security forces searching for the shooter was pretty amazing.  There were armored cars with gunners driving all over the place, there were people with guns searching all the buildings and cars on base, including all the cars waiting to get off base.  Yes, my car got searched as well...

Once base was cleared, we were finally able to leave in time to pick up Jane from school.  My poor kids were such troopers and were so patient through the whole ordeal.  Here's a picture of my poor kids as we waited in the car...I made Beckham take his shirt off to stay cooler and I tried to make a more comfortable bed for Elsie in her carseat.
 Our Last days were filled up with too many goodbyes.  I am an incredibly nostalgic person so this was the most difficult part of leaving Dover, our home of three years!! Here is Jane saying goodbye to her wonderful Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Hastings!! Jane had to leave her class just over a month early, but she really loved her time at Welch Elementary School.
 We made some very dear friends while in Dover. And conveniently enough, they were all our wonderful neighbors!! They were all so helpful to me during our crazy time of moving and having a new baby!! We were able to have several get togethers with them before we left. Here I am with my sweet neighbors and friends, Kelsey and Karen.
 Jane had to say goodbye to her dear friend, Brynn!!
 And Beckham had to say goodbye to his best friend, Lindon, and all the fun neighbor boys!!
I was fortunate enough to have made a best friend while I was in Dover. She became more like family to me while I was there.  I was so grateful for this lovely lady's friendship!!
Here is another one of all my ladies, Kelsey, Elaina and Karen!!
The kids had so much fun at our goodbye pizza party at our neighbors house. We are really going to miss all our Delaware friends.
**Fort McHenry**
Once all the sad goodbyes were had, we were off on our journey.  The first day we were adventurous and made several historical stops.  Our first was at Fort McHenry where the Star Spangled Banner was written during the battle of 1812. 

This is a sort of bomb shelter.  I was still getting used to having Elsie out and about so I wasn't thrilled when Ryan decided to take Elsie into the deep downs of the fort.

I loved this picture!!  These two little buddies are getting way too big!!
**Charm City Cakes**
Of course we had to stop at Charm City Cakes to eat some delicious goodies and hopefully see Duff. We didn't get to meet Duff but at least the cake was delicious!!
**Gettysburg**
Our next stop on day one was Gettysburg.  It was so much larger than we had imagined but we saw as much of it as we could.



Here is a cemetery where some of the soldiers were buried during the war.
**Carthage Jail**
On the third day of our journey we made another very special stop. By this time the kids were getting kinda crazy from being stuck in the car...hehe!!

This was my favorite stop. Seeing Carthage Jail was very emotional and humbling for me. This is the window that Joseph Smith fell from on the day he was killed.

The was the original door that was shot through, killing Hyrum Smith.

Our next stop was Nauvoo.  I had no idea that Nauvoo was such a neat and interactive experience. It was so neat to see how the pioneers built and lived in Nauvoo!! Here is Beckham and Jane learning how to make a wagon wheel.

We also got to see how a horse shoe was made at the blacksmith shop.  We also got to see a brick being made.
Here are Elsie and I in Brigham Young's house.  This was ten seconds before Elsei got fed up with everything and lost her cool completely...not that I blame her at all, poor dear!!
This is the room where Brigham Young and the quorum of the twelve apostles met at the time.
Of course, the Nauvoo temple was beautiful!!
This is the grave sight of Joseph and Hyrum Smith!!
*8 Hotel Stays**
Along our journey we stayed in 8 hotels!! The kids reward for being good for me in the car every day was a swim in the hotel pool!! They loved it :)

**Utah**
After 6 days we finally made it home to Utah where we were able to rest our feet for awhile and take a break from traveling. It was a much needed break!!

We were able to visit my grandma and grandpa Metten with my sister.  I have so many wonderful memories there and it was so neat to see my kids enjoying the toys that I loved as a kid :) Beckham and Mae are good buddies!!
Here are Grandma and Grandpa Metten with the kids!!
**Baby Elsie's Blessing**
It was so wonderful to be able to bless baby Elsie with our families there to listen!! Baby Elsie was a little angel as usual. Here she is with Grandma Dick!

**Dick's House**
While in Utah we were able to stay at Ryan's parents house for part of the time.  We were able to see two of Ryan's sisters while we were there and their kids.  Jane and Beckham were so happy to have cousins to play with all day every day!!
And having Grandma Jean to play with wasn't too bad either:)
**Thanksgiving Point**
We spent nearly an entire day at the new children's museum at Thanksgiving Point.  It was truly amazing.
The water and weather portion was Beckham's favorite!!


The climbing area was so neat.
Beckham hung like a sloth for over a minute!!
There was an outdoor portion as well.  Ryan's sister was so sweet to help Jane on the teeter totter!!
**Mom's House**
After staying at Ryan's Parents' house we stayed at my mom's house.  It was wonderful to be able to spend time with mommy :)

Elsie was such a good girl the entire trip! She loved hanging out with her new cousin, Harper, who is just one month older than her!!
The kids played for hours in the sand barrel outside.
My dad loved holding the babies :) I love this guy!!
Once more we had to say goodbyes. Jane and Beckham hated to have to say goodbye to all their cousins...
...and to Grammy. I'm not sure why the picture of my sister and I didn't end up in here, but saying goodbye to my best friend and sister was no fun at all.  I miss living near my family so much.
**Almost Done**
After the goodbyes were done, we had two more days to journey. We had two instances where we nearly ran out of gas before making it to a gas station.  I think the many prayers being made on our behalf along the way really worked...
This is how poor Elsie spent most of her time out of her carseat, being changed on my lap and fed in the front seat of the car.  poor little gal.
Here are the kids getting their last hotel swim!!
I got to see the salt flats which I had never seen before.  Utah is so cool!!
Finally, after a VERY LONG journey we arrived safely in California, ready to begin new West coast adventures!!!  Unpacking was a nightmare but at least the kids had fun :) Pictures of our house will come soon!!
The Dick's are excited to take over California!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Your adventures sound so amazing! I'm glad that all went as well as possible. Elsie's blessing dress is too cute. Hooray for cousin time!