Thursday, October 22, 2015

My Kinda "Old Timey" Fun!!

 Anyone who knows me well, knows that I just love history!  I just love going to historical sights and seeing how they lived. It just amazes me!! That's why living in Delaware was such a dream for me. We went all over the east coast to see historical sights and really neat places and things!! I loved it. We loved California for its beauty and being near family.  But, now that we are in Missouri I am getting  more of this neat historical stuff.

A few weekends ago, we went on an adventure to visit a really old town called Arrow Rock. It is an amazing place with tons of really well preserved old buildings! Arrow Rock was one of the furthest West settled towns during that Era. It was the farthest  West that anyone had really settled and explored much before the pioneers were forced to go even further West!! SO NEAT!!

So when we heard that Arrow Rock was having a Fall Festival we just had to go check it out. When we got there we realized that you needed cash to get in and to buy anything...which was no good, since we had no cash.  This being a small town there was no bank near by and no ATM at all and we had driven an hour and a half to the middle of no where to get there! So I was really bummed when I thought we weren't even going to be able to get in.  But a very sweet lady saw our struggles and paid for us to get in.  She insisted and was such an angel to do it. It ended up being such a fun little adventure.

There were lots of little booths set up showing how they  made things and lived many many years ago.  This lady was making yarn out of sheep wool!  I had never seen that done before and it was very cool.

This man was showing us how they made paper!! The kids were absolutely fascinated!


 We got to see how potter was made.
 One of the neatest things we did was eat in the oldest running restaurant in the U.S.!!  Back when this city was founded this building was a tavern and a restaurant and it has always been that...and still is today!! They even still serve their famous fried chicken. Which was delicious!! The building and food were amazing!!
 Elsie was her usual crazy self...here is a series of photos showing me struggling with her during dinner...ah toddlers...


 Eventually she settled down and we were able to enjoy dinner!!
 I just had to take a picture of this cool kitchen!!
 Here is the bank!!
 The kids loved hearing the old timey music while eating ice cream!!!

 The public school was really neat!! It was amazing to see that the town still used all these old building!!
 In the school, the kids got to try weaving a rug on this neat loom!! They loved it!!


 Here is a beautiful Missouri sunset!!  We are just loving it here and I couldn't be happier!!!

No comments: