Monday, January 31, 2011

ER Visit Number 2 for January...

A little over a week ago, this was me...more or less!! I have never had an allergic reaction to anything before. However, this first month of 2011 has been terribly dramatic and pretty much awful...so when this happened I was hardly surprised.

Not too long after Jane got over her H1N1 flu, I started getting a mild case of hives in the morning. Ryan, the genius pharmacist that he is, gave me medicine to block the histamine response in my body. It appeared to work a little. However, the hives never completely went away.

By the second night of my mysterious allergic reaction, the hives started to spread to my face. I was mildy concerned, however they were not terrible yet. Ryan upped the dose of medicine I had been taking for two days at this point and I was sure things would improve by morning.

Well, when I woke up this literally is not far from what I looked like and strikingly similar to the reaction I had as well. I immediately burst into tears seeing what a monster I was. Upon further inspection I could see that pretty much my whole body was covered by one very large hive.

Needless to say, Ryan took me to the ER being very surprised that the high dose of medicines he had been giving me was not stopping the reaction. I wore my sunglasses the whole time I was in the ER being so humiliated by my appearance. They gave me a VERY painful shot and ordered me to be on an extremely high dose of three different medications for a week...

Well, the drugs made me kinda crazy. I was moody, super sleepy, no energy, I had a strange sense that my senses were heightened, anxiety, 1 hallucination, and to put the icing on the cake the steroid I was taking made me break out...I can at least look back on this experience and have a good laugh. I did look pretty awesome as a troll and had to get a shot square in my butt after all...that's funny stuff :)

Pretty much every New Years resolution I had made for myself has been shot by this horrendous month and all its drama. So, good bye and good riddance to January 2011. I am welcoming February 2011 and proclaiming this month to a new start to the year and I just know that it is going to go MUCH better!!

4 comments:

Whitney said...

UGH! We have had a rough Jan too-so here's to starting over!!!!!! Love and miss you!

Terry and Christina said...

Oh mare, that was horrible!! I am glad you are better, and never eat another avocado again! Definitely start a new with February! Love you!

Heather Harper said...

Seriously, what else could go wrong! It is pretty funny, and again, you are such a great writer that it makes it more entertaining to read than hear about.

You may as well write January off and start your new year with February. I'm going to do the same....whenever we get this job, or at least the news of a clearance or not, that is when my new year will start! :)

Autumn said...

Holy crap sister, that sucks. I hope you took pics you may be able to use in some creative way in the future...