Thursday, March 5, 2009

Our Treacherous Weekend- A super woman is born!!

Several weeks ago, Ryan, Jane and I had the opportunity to stay at an amazing cabin up at Sundance (Thanks to our good family friends, the Jacksons) with all our family- two of my brothers and their wives came into town and all the little kids had the opportunity to hang out and play together!! (We definitely missed Bryan and Wendy- they were the only ones missing) The cabin was absolutely amazing, stalked every luxary you could imagine and ample space for the huge group we had gathered there. However, the trip was not by any means void of adventure, chaos and danger- that seems to be how we like it in our family. Naturally, we had all decided to drive up to the remote section of mountain where this glorious cabin lay, during the largest snow storm I had ever seen. We contemplated putting a nix on the whole operation several times as the white out conditions were sending my mother(in the car ahead of us) into histerics and our four wheel drive car was struggling around the windy roads...but where's the fun in that.

So we continued... Ryan and I eventually got to the most trechurous part of the drive which consisted of steep inclines and declines and narrow windy roads. I watched helplessly as Ryan grew more and more tense with every incline and decline. He seemed to be in physical pain as he grunted and moaned while driving up the hills- as if that would somehow help our car push its way up. We were nearing the end of our journey when we took a brief stop to check our map...our first mistake. We later learned that we were stuck in the snow, in the middle of the deep dark forest, in a raging blizzard.

Attempting to remain positive, I tried pushing the car while Ryan drove- a ridiculous notion- nothing happened. Frustrated, Ryan demanded that I get in the car with Jane. And I, of coarse, protested the very connotation that I, a woman, was not capable of getting us out of this mess as well as he could, as I dusted snow out from the front of the tires. After my lengthy speech on women's rights, I looked up to see that Ryan was no where to be seen... I yelled for him and searched desperately for him... but he had disappeared. I was devastated and shocked, "Me, a widow this young? Maybe a pack of wolves got him?" Genuinly frightened, I got into the car and put the peddle to the metal- I wasn't going to die like that- alone int he wilderness! To my astonishment, my efforts prevailed- I had freed us from our snowy grave.

Several minutes later, I saw Ryan drving towards me on a four wheeler. Initially, I was glad to see that he wasn't dead and then fury set in when I realized that he had abandoned Jane and I. He had every intention of being the hero and rescuing us by walked the rest of the way to the cabin and coming back to pull us out, however I beat him to the punch- and saved us with my Zena, the warrior princess, like strength and agility!!! I am a super woman!!!

The rest of the trip was delightful- here are a few fun pics:All the Cousins together- and one on the way!!!Jane with Aunt Courtney and Cousin Charlotte!!

3 comments:

Stevie and Meesha said...

I know I say it all the time but I love reading you stories..you are so creative:) lol..it made me laugh but I am glad that you were all safe and sound and nothing bad happened. But just like you I would have freaked out at my husband for leaving me there without telling me! lol...you are infact a SUPER WOMAN!!

Terry and Christina said...

You are sooo clever and such a good writer!! i want to grow up to be like you!! i love the story, it depicts what happened perfectly!!! love ya :)

Kacey said...

haha...mary, you crack me up. i'm soooooooo glad the story has a happy ending!