We have a lot of fun going on at the Dick house in the next little while so I didn't want to get too behind. And of course, I cannot skip over St. Patrick's Day! I love this holiday...whether its because I take a certain amount of pride in my Irish Heritage or because this holiday brings with it the coming of Spring, for whatever reason I love to have as much St. Patty's Day fun as I can cram in!!
This post is going to be a tad backwards because all the pictures posted that way...and I am just to lazy to start all over- hehe! You'll get the idea anyway. I am bummed this picture didn't turn out better...but I was super excited to find this very festive plant full of shamrocks and tiny white flowers!! It was so pretty and St. Patrick's Day-ish that we just had to get it :)
For our traditional Irish dinner, I tried adding a few neat new recipes to dinner! Though they aren't actually Irish, I made some yummy green, mint cookies for dessert!
I also tried Irish soda bread! It was quite easy and actually very yummy!! It was a lovely addition to our corned beef and cabbage stew!!
During dinner I taught everyone a little a bit about why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day and gave some fun St. Patrick's Day facts! We also looked at some beautiful pictures of Ireland and we all agreed that we need to visit there someday :)
Everyone enjoyed dinner a lot...or at least that's what they told me...
Of course, the night before St. Patrick's Day my kiddos make some leprechaun traps in an attempt to catch a very sneaky leprechaun! (Pictures of that to come...so backwards...I know) The leprechauns once again alluded us this year...however they did leave some clues that they had been there, and were causing all sorts of mischeif! Jane's room was a mess and covered in green candies!!
This crazy little note was left in Beckham's room! It said "He he he, you can't catch me!" Those leprechauns are indeed sneaky!
Beckham's room was a mess as well...
The kid's darling traps were messed up and filled with golden Oreos!! It was quite a surprise!
We found downstairs to be in disarray as well. And also covered in green candies which the kiddos quite enjoyed gathering up...
And true to the backwards form of this post, we now have the pictures of the leprechaun traps- hehe! I was very impressed with Jane and Beckham's ingenuity this year as they devised some very alluring and tricky traps for the leprechauns!!
They each came complete some very enticing gold coins and shamrocks inside the traps and a trap door which would shut when the leprechauns would try to grab the gold!!
Much time and effort and even tears went into these traps, but boy were they proud when they were finished!
Another St. Patrick's Day for the books!! And another Spring is here- yay!! As I mention in nearly every post, time truly is flying and with each passing holiday that we fill with magic and fun, it makes me wonder how many more years we will be able to pull this off before the magic fades for my kids and they no longer get so much joy out of these holiday traditions?!
It makes me want to really make the most of each moment I have with these amazing kiddos of ours and savor the memories we have together. Because, the time will come when we will have to change our traditions to suit older kids who...I shudder at the thought...may not want to spend their time with us every day like they do now :( But for now, I am just reveling in the joy of another successful and magical St. Patrick's Day and another wonderful Spring with my wonderful little family!
No comments:
Post a Comment